Ask a Dentist   »  

Noticed swelling and soreness after tooth removal. Should I consult a dentist?

Dentist, Prosthodontics
I am a 47 year old female, I weigh 137 pounds, and I am 5 feet 11 3/4 inches tall. Exactly one week ago today, I had my bottom teeth removed. None of them were wisdom teeth as they were extracted when I was a teenager. One tooth that was removed on the bottom right is still sore and slightly swollen. It is not an intense pain, just enough where I notice it, but my gland is swollen on that side also. Should I be concerned and go back to my Dentist? I was not prescribed antibiotics after the extractions.
Posted Tue, 20 Nov 2012 in Dental Health
Answered by Dr. Shivangi Gajwani Jain 28 minutes later

After reading your symptoms, I feel that you may have developed a minor infection in the extraction site resulting in pain and swelling.

Ideally, a course of antibiotics should help you with removal of infection as well as symptomatic relief.

I would recommend you to visit your dentist again so that he may prescribe the necessary medication.

Meanwhile you should do warm saline gargles 3-4 times/day for 3 days as sometimes food gets stuck in extraction areas causing inflammation which will dissolve with warm water.

Hope you feel better soon. Do let us know if you have any more queries.

Follow-up: Noticed swelling and soreness after tooth removal. Should I consult a dentist? 29 minutes later
I have been doing the salt water since a little over 24 hours after extractions. I tilted my head back and forth as I didn't want to swish and risk getting a dry socket. Yesterday, Monday, was the first day I actually swished. I swish first thing in the morning, after I eat, and before bed. After writing this question. I took a q-tip, moistened it with tap water, gently dipped it in ground cloves, and gently swabbed it on the gum around where the tooth was pulled. I was careful not to get it in the actual extraction site. Much better! Gland swelling seems to be going down as well.
Answered by Dr. Shivangi Gajwani Jain 8 hours later
If its just a mild inflammation, as clove oil gives symptomatic relief, you may not need a pain killer but if the infection persists then antibiotics are to be taken.

If the swelling does not go down completely then I would strongly recommend you to visit your dentist again.

If there's any other query, i'll be happy to help.
Wish you a speedy recovery.