Noticed swelling and purple discoloration on calf. Hurts to walk. How to get relief?

Jun 2015

I fell coming out of jacuzzi and bruised my entire calf. It swelled and turned purple almost immediately and hurt to even walk. I've been putting arnica on it to get back to normal but have noticed my ankle has started swelling and turning purple. Is this serious? What should I do?
Posted Mon, 1 Apr 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Polash Sannigrahi 1 hour later

The swelling & purple discolouration is due to accumulation of fluid and blood (hematoma).
The blood cells which gets accumulated are eventually broken down and absorbed in the body.
But this is a slow process & takes times to disappear completely.

Till that time, symptomatic relief is obtained by taking analgesics, ice compression & adequate rest.
You can also use analgesic gel & muscle relaxants.

However, if the symptoms still persist or aggravate or associated with other complaints like loss of sensation, severe restriction of movements, then it will be better to consult an Orthopedician & get a proper physical examination done to rule out any fracture or ligament injury.
Based upon that, appropriate management steps can be taken.

Also there is a need to rule out any disturbance in the bleeding & clotting mechanisms.

Investigations like complete blood count, bleeding time, clotting time & X XXXXXXX of ankle joint will be helpful in clinching the diagnosis.

There is no need to worry, you will be fine.

Wishing you a good health.

Let me know if I need to clarify further.

Thanks & take care.