Noticed sudden weight gain. What could be causing this?

Dear Concern,

From past few months i am relizing m getting weight day by day while i dont tk much meal per day.All wat i takjng is my lunch neither my B.F nor Dinner...Could you please suggest wat can be the cause of Overweighting in this case?????
Posted Wed, 20 Feb 2013 in Weight & Lifestyle
Answered by Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar 50 minutes later
Hello and welcome to Healthcare Magic. Thanks for your query.

From the description of your problem, you seem to be having unexplained weight gain (that is weight gain not corelating to your dietary habits or any other obvious reasons) Such unexplained weight gain can be due to a various causes. Some of the common causes are:

- Hypothyroidism (underactive thyroid gland) - most common cause.

- Polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS) - common in women, characterized by cysts in the ovary and associated with weight gain and menstrual irregularities.

- Other hormonal problems, like Cushing's syndrome.

- Stress and Depression

- Genetic risk for obesity

I would advise you to have a detailed evaluation, which should include a complete physical examination and certain blood tests, in order to find out what is causing your weight gain.

Also, it is not advisable to completely skip breakfast and dinner. This can cause gastritis, acidity problems and also put you at risk for hypoglycemia (low blood sugars). Maybe you can have some fibre XXXXXXX foods like oats, vegetable salads, etc.

Wish you all the best.

Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar