Ask a Urologist   »  

Noticed strong smelling urine. What to do?

General Surgeon
I've had strong smelly urine for about a month. Sometimes goes away for a day but returns. Really bad odor.
Posted Wed, 25 Sep 2013 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. M Y Shareef 20 minutes later
Brief Answer:
More information is needed.

Detailed Answer:

Good evening. I am Dr Shareef answering your query.

Can you please elaborate a little more :

1) Is there any burning urination or increased frequency of urination ?
2) Since when have you got it ?
3) What is your dietary habit ? Did you notice this smell after any particular type of food !

Till then, I would suggest you to take plenty of liquids to flush out the genito-urinary system.

Thank you for using the health care magic portal for your query. Awaiting your reply.
Follow-up: Noticed strong smelling urine. What to do? 30 minutes later
No burning urination but have had increased frequency for about a year. Strong smell came on about a month ago. No real change in dietary for past few years.
Answered by Dr. M Y Shareef 42 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Investigations required.

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for being so prompt in providing information asked for.

With your history of increased frequency of urination, if I would have been your doctor, I would have advised you for a blood sugar test, and a urine routine and microscopic test along with a culture sensitivity test if need be. Many times increased blood sugar may give rise to a sweet smelling urine. An infected urine can also give rise to a pungent kind of smell. A urine examination and blood tests will help in diagnosing the condition.

If the above are excluded, I would go into more detail of your history of diet like if you eat a lot of asparagus, the urine may give a peculiar kind of smell. In that case you may reduce your ingestion of asparagus. Also I would advise you to take a lot of liquids/water as lack of water in the body (dehydration) may also cause the urine to have a strong ammonia smell due to increased concentration of urine.

In the age group you are in I would also clinically and ultrasonographically assess your prostate gland, which if enlarged can give rise to increased frequency of urination, and infection of urine causing the smell in urine. Even infection of the prostate gland which is not so uncommon, can give rise to such symptoms. if proved I will go for a culture sensitivity of the prostatic fluid by possible prostatic message, and treat it depending on the report. As a routine I would not hesitate to advise a serum PSA (Prostate specific antigen) for you.

Therefore, considering the above possibilities, I would advise you to discuss the issue with your family physician to investigate in the lines specially for blood sugar and prostate problems.

I hope this information will help you in solving your problem. In case of any more query, please feel free to ask.

Thanking you.