Noticed strip of skin and numbness on top of lip. Why is this tiny strip of skin on face?

Hi, I woke up with a strip of skin over my top left lip and going up above my lip in the same area onto my skin, numb. This is similar to being numbed up at the dentist but its in one small, maybe inch long strip of skin that goes over the top left part of my lip and no kind of injury preceded it at all. I am wondering what is going on here and why is this tiny strip of skin on my face numb?
Posted Fri, 12 Oct 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Sumitra Kumar Mukherjee 31 minutes later
I am sorry to hear about the condition of your numb lip. Before going any further I shall be grateful if you let me know few facts.
(1)have you had any special food or drink or any medication?
(2)Have you exposed to very cold weather?
(3) have you had this conditio before?
4) has the condition settling down now or getting worse?
Kindest regards
Dr. S.K. Mukherjee
Follow-up: Noticed strip of skin and numbness on top of lip. Why is this tiny strip of skin on face? 1 hour later
I have not had any food or drink that would be out of the normal range of food and the only medication I take are the ones prescribed for me: Enbrel, Estradiol, Progesterone, Synthroid, Alprazolam, Tramadol, and Prazosin. I have not been exposed to cold weather and the only condition I have had before now similar to this one is Bell's Palsy when I was 14 years old and I am 26 now so it's been a long time. The numbness is spreading into more of the skin above my lip so I would say it is getting worse but slowly.
Answered by Dr. Sumitra Kumar Mukherjee 16 minutes later
Dear Madam,
thank you for your reply.
The numbness of lip can occur due to (1)Cold exposure (2)Allergic reaction due to food and drug which have all been ruled out.
The next is these could be signs of neuropathy. In such a case I strongly advise you to see a Primary physician as soon as possible as you feel it is getting worse slowly.
Kindest regards
Dr. S.K.Mukherjee