Noticed square-shaped flat sores on arms. No pus and itching. Could this be due to bed bugs?

I have a student who has approximately 7 square-shaped flat sores on her left arm. They are not raised, no puss or leakage. She also has 1 on her stomach and 1 on her back. They do not itch. Could this be bed bugs?
Posted Wed, 11 Dec 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Geetika Paul 29 minutes later
Brief Answer: Not bed bugs , more details please Detailed Answer: Hi, I understand your concern regarding your skin problem and I hope to help you in the same. Now according to your description, the skin lesions are totally asymptomatic in bottle, which means that there is no associated itching or pain, so this basically rules out bed bugs. Bed bugs cause an allergic skin reaction which is essentially itching in nature. Now just to figure out what the lesions are, I would like to know more about the lesions. Since when does she have these? Is there on associated itching or discomfort? Are there red or violet in color? Are these oval in shape or square only? Size of the lesions? Also it would be great if you can click some close up pictures of the skin lesions and upload them here on this page. You can also mail the same at YYYY@YYYY with heading as ref to Dr Geetika Paul. I am sure that I would be able to help you more once you follow up with the pictures and other details. Waiting for your response Dr Geetika Paul MD (Dermatology)
Follow-up: Noticed square-shaped flat sores on arms. No pus and itching. Could this be due to bed bugs? 36 minutes later
These started a "few" days ago, and they are square and oval, but mostly square. Largest is .5 mm. Red in color. I see no place to upload a photo on this page, so will attach to the email you provided.
Answered by Dr. Geetika Paul 3 hours later
Brief Answer: Impetigo of skin : Topical antibiotics required Detailed Answer: Hi, I have seen the attached pictures. The lesions look like circinate impetigo. Now this is essentially an infective skin condition which is caused by bacteria. It is seen mostly in children. It initially starts as a single lesion, then due to scratching or touching, the fluid in the lesion leads to development of more lesions. Now firstly , all the lesions should be cleaned daily with lukewarm saline XXXXXXX This should be followed by application of an antibiotic cream like neosporin or mupirocin twice a day. Do not apply any other creams or moisturizers over the affected area. Year cotton clothes so as to avoid any irritation over the lesions. As much as possible, touching of the lesions should be avoided. Hope it helps, Dr Geetika Paul MD( DERMATOLOGY)