Noticed spotting after period. What is causing this?

Emergency Medicine Specialist
I had my period on 3/30/2013 and went of on the 4/5/2013 but I got up this morning and I had seen light bleeding in the toilet and on my toilet paper its top but some hours later came back and it was very light
Posted Thu, 16 May 2013 in Menstruation and Miscarriage
Answered by Dr. Sheeba Stephen 2 hours later
Hello and welcome to Healthcare Magic. Thanks for your query.

Irregular or inter-menstrual menstrual bleeding can often be a sign of a hormonal imbalance. In young women, this is often due to certain conditions like dysfunctional uterine bleeding (DUB), polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS), etc. In older women, certain other gynecological problems like a uterine or cervical mass have to be ruled out. Sometimes, an infection (such as a cervicitis) can also result in inter-menstrual bleeding.

I would advise you to see a gynecologist for a physical examination, and if necessary certain investigations, so that the likely cause for your bleeding can be established. If it is due to a hormonal imbalance, then a course of hormonal pills may regularize your cycles. If there are any other gynecological problems detected, then they have to be treated appropriately.

Wish you all the best.

Dr. Sheeba Stephen
Consultant - Emergency Medicine