Noticed spots underneath toes. Feel itchy. Spreading to other areas. Remedy?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Dec 2013
Dec 2013

Dermatologist
Question
I have one toe on my right foot that gets these "spots" on the underneath side that have fluid in them and it itches terribly. It never spreads to any other area besides the underneath of that one specific toe. I do puncture the sites to release the fluid as this improves the itching. The symptoms resolve on their own with that being the only intervention and they stay dormant for awhile but then always come back.
Posted Sat, 19 Oct 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails

Answered by Dr. Sanjay Kumar Kanodia 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
It is due to fungal infection of thetoe area

Detailed Answer:
Welcome and thanks for posting your query to XXXXXXX

After reading your query I can make the best possibility of fungal infection of the toe area.

To explain you medically - fungal infections generally affects one foot only and most commonly the underside of the toe. This is because of the fact that this area is most often remains neglected because of poor visibility as well as remaining wet for a long time.

Fungus has tendency to grow at these damp areas. The skin over planter aspect of foot is thicket of the body. So it penetrates into the skin at that local area. Once it enters it either remains dormant or sometimes when the moisture is high it becomes bit active. During the time of this activity there is formation of small fluid filled blisters.

Now for the part of remedy :
- Keep your foot completely dry.
- After bathing dry your foot with two small dry towels.
- If you wear socks then should change socks two times a day. Never wear the used socks again.
- Use anti-fungal dusting powder.
- You can apply sertaconazole cream or any good plane anti-fungal cream over the affected area for two time day. Let it be applied in a very thin layer and merged with the skin so that this itself should not cause any dampness.
- Anti-fungal tablets such as Fluconazole 400 mg in first weeks and then 150 mg in following weeks can be taken twice a week for 4 weeks of period under medical supervision.
- For itching you can take tablet Loratadine or cetrizine as an when required basis.

Just check for the nails alos if these are totally normal in architecture or not. Sometimes it can get spread to nail also. In that case you would be requiring proper anti-fungal treatment.

I request you to not to pinch, pop or squeeze any of the fluid filled blister as it can cause further spread as well as secondary infection.

Hope these informations will help you.

with best health wishes,

Dr Sanjay Kumar Kanodia

Follow-up: Noticed spots underneath toes. Feel itchy. Spreading to other areas. Remedy? 2 hours later
I question that this is a fungal infection since it has been ongoing for several months but is ALWAYS isolated to the one specific toe and has absolutely never spread despite my interventions. I did think at one time it may be vesicular athlete's foot but this does not fit the pattern of outbreak and lack of spread to any other part of my foot.

Brief Answer:
Kindly see the detailed answer below.

Detailed Answer:

Welcome again to the forum and thanks for your prompt reply.

Dear madam, in our medical science we see mutiple of the variation in the presentation of the normally occurring problems. AS per your query the best possibility is of fungal infection of the local area. There are multiple types of fungi causing the infection at this area and athlete's foot is not the only presentation of your problem.. It is an isolated phenomenon occurring in yourself.

Based on the dermatological facts the vesicular eruptions appears mainly because of the fungi. Though there can be multiple other causes such as contact dermatitis due to some allergen but the possibility is bit lesser to other contact allergen.

So I request you to kindly follow the suggestions or if you want then can take a second opinion from another dermatologist.

Hope these informations will help you.

with best health wishes,

Dr Sanjay Kumar Kanodia