Noticed spongy large lump at the top of cervical spine. Am I having fluid in this area?

Nov 2013

I have recently discovered a spongy large lump at the top of my cervical spine. It aches occasionally and feels heavy. With aching and a congested feeling around the shoulders. I recently had a very bad virus which has gone on for weeks. My vitality levels are still low. I wondering whether I have fluid in this area? Thank-you
Posted Wed, 17 Oct 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 2 hours later
Thank you for contacting Healthcare magic.
The spongy large lump at the top of your cervical spine is more likley to be a lipoma. It is a growth of fatty tissue and is often benign. It may feel as if there is fluid in it.
Other cause of the same could be sebaceous cyst (which has fluid in it), but it is often smaller in size.
You can get it examined by a doctor for confirmation. However, it can be done on routine basis, and there is no emergency.
There is no need to worry at present.
Please get back if you have any follow up queries.
Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM