Noticed sores on tongue, gums, and roof of mouth. Lymphnode in neck swollen. Started after oral sex. What can this be?

I started with sores on my tongue,gums, and roof of my mouth, now the underside of my tongue hurts/dry and the lymphnode in my neck is swollen. I am in a serious relationship but this started after I gave him oral sex. What could it be? It's been a week now. Sores are gone but underside of tongue still dry/numb and lymph node in neck is swollen and painful.
Posted Sat, 28 Sep 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 2 hours later
Brief Answer:

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thank you so much for this query.

I am so sorry to hear about what you experienced and this swollen lymph node.

This lymph node is normal and has developed as a result of the infection. Infections drain to lymph nodes which mount an inflammatory and immune reaction to contain it. This explains the increase in size and pains. It normally takes longer to regress to its initial size than for the infection to clear up. What I will suggest is that you monitor it closely. If it is increasing in size or becoming more painful, then you would need some drugs to control this swelling and pains.

It should take any where more about 2weeks for all to return to its initial state unless complications set in which would manifest through increase in size and or pain intensity. So, be out on the watch.

I hope this addresses your query fully. Feel free to ask me more questions for clarification if need be. Thanks.
Dr. Ditah, MD

Follow-up: Noticed sores on tongue, gums, and roof of mouth. Lymphnode in neck swollen. Started after oral sex. What can this be? 4 minutes later
What about sores in mouth, gums,and dryness under my tongue? Is there anything i can do to help this?
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
They are usually self limiting

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thanks for this follow up.

These sores are usually self limiting. They get resolved without any medical intervention. The most important thing is to keep the mouth clean by rinsing with an antiseptic solution(eludril/bicarbonates mouth wash, etc) to prevent super-infection by germs.

If the pains are severe, then take some pain medications to relief yourself. Unless otherwise, these sore should be over within 10days. If it doesn't then you may need evaluation for possible uncommon causes.

I hope this addresses the query. If you have any follow up questions, please feel free to ask.
Dr. Ditah, MD