Noticed soreness on vagina. Tested normal for thrush. What could this be?

hey, I am a female aged 25...for the last 6 months I have had
the outside of my vagina sore....I met with a doctor I was tested
for thrush & the results came back normal...I am just wondering
what problem this could be
Posted Mon, 6 May 2013 in Vaginal and Uterus Health
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 2 hours later
There are many causes of sore vaginal lips like-
1. Rough intercourse
2. Vaginitis either fungal or trichomonial
3. Bartholin abscess or cyst
4. Neurological causes, dermatitis, etc.
However it would be very difficult to be confirm without local examination.
See a health care provider for local examination & after consulting your doctor get investigated for vaginal swab culture and other tests to detect the cause.

Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.
Follow-up: Noticed soreness on vagina. Tested normal for thrush. What could this be? 18 hours later
thanks for answering my question. Now I do think my question was not clear enough
but let me re-state it. The reason why I said that I was tested for vaginal thrush, is
simply because that is what my doctor thought my symptoms & signs were showing.

so after two periods of treating thrush, and still there was no improvement. a vaginal swab was carried out. Am not so sure if those other listed infections were tested for, but when I went back to get my results, the nurse told me everything was normal.
though that did not change the fact that I still had/have the soreness. I did not go back to the doctor, because to me she seemed not so bothered if I may say. so that is why I am using your services.
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 4 hours later
Thanks for writing again.
Since the vaginal swab culture has ruled out the infections, the likely cause of soreness is a vaginal dryness due to low estrogen levels, dermatitis - may be allergic or due to a neurological cause. You can take methylcobalamin supplements and use a moisturising cream like aloe vera gel in the affected area and see if there is an improvement.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.