Noticed soreness on scalp and lymph node in neck. Could this be temporal arthritis?

Nov 2013

Right side of scalp behind ear has been very renter over last two weeks, noticed while brushing hair after getting up one morning. Tenderness came on sudden. Scalp sore in this area over last few days scalp in the tempol area above the right ear wher it attaches to the face
Stretching behind ear and rising 2cm or so above eat on scalp is now lumpy. I have lymph node that is visible in neck noticed in 2009 advised by own GP could be concerned with a head cold at the time however nod has never reduced in size since then. It sometimes enlarges a little but then returns to pea size nod also on ri
ght side of neck. I'm not suffering headaches although I can feel a slight braking sensation on the right temple feels to me maybe fluid under scalp. Tenderness remains sore has not settle down. I am worried it could be temporal arthritis
Posted Tue, 16 Oct 2012 in Arthritis
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 5 hours later
Thank you for posting your query.
First of all, let me reassure you that your symptoms are most likely not due to temporal arteritis.
This condition usually affects people above 50, and is characterized by recurrent headaches in the temple area with visual symptoms. A blood test called ESR is useful, which is elevated in this condition.
Your symptoms appear to be most likely due to myalgia/soft tissue inflammation of the affected area.
Taking analgesics such as aceclofenac 100 mg twice daily or paracetamol 650 thrice daily could be useful.
Regarding the lymph node, there is no need to worry, as it is small and has reduced in size.
I hope it clarifies. Please get back if you have more queries.
Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology)
XXXXXX Consultant Neurologist