Noticed soreness and some abrasions at the base of penis after oral sex. Using antiseptic cream. Suggest

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Dec 2012
Dec 2012

Question
I received oral sex the other day which was somewhat rough (she scraped me with her teeth a few times). Within several hours the base of my penis was very sore, and there were some abrasions and dry skin around that area as well. I was actually just at a dermatologist, and she mentioned it might be folliculitis, but I was too embarrassed to tell her the details, so I figured I would seek a second opinion after providing the details. She mentioned hydrocortisone, but I was wondering if that's what you would recommend, or something else to speed up the healing process. I have been putting an antiseptic on it, as well as fragrance free hand cream for the dryness. (I am allergic to Neosporin and Amoxicillin, if that matters.)
Posted Wed, 27 Nov 2013 in Sexually Transmitted Diseases

Answered by Dr. Nsah Bernard 55 minutes later
Brief Answer: Hydrocortisone might not be best indicated Detailed Answer: Hello Thanks for posting on XXXXXXX It seems to me that you have acquired an infection which is spread from your partner's mouth through the skin of your penis. It is not necessarily an STD but rather common germs such as staph/strep found in the mouth. Folliculitis maybe possible given the location of the soreness (I have taken a look at the picture). Folliculitis is usually caused by bacteria and since you are using already antiseptic agents it is a good step but applying antibiotics cream such as gentamycin or erythromycin pommade can get healing process more effective. Hydrocortisone can also do the trick since it is often used for most skin affections. How ever, do continue with your dermatologist's prescription for a couple of days, to see how it evolves. If no improvement, then do make sure you see her. Hope this helps and wish you the best. Dr. Nsah

Follow-up: Noticed soreness and some abrasions at the base of penis after oral sex. Using antiseptic cream. Suggest 6 hours later
Thank you, Are both antibiotics creams you mentioned available over the counter or do they require a prescription? Also, how long of a time frame would the healing process take? Thanks

Answered by Dr. Nsah Bernard 2 hours later
Brief Answer: Can not tell for your country Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for posting, Well I am not sure if they are available OTC or not in your country. You will have to check at your pharmacy to see. Most creams are usually found OTC. The healing process can take just a couple of days. Say 5-7 days for complete healing. If you are unable to get that OTC, continue with the hydrocortisone and observe if it gets any better. If it does not, do inform your doctor about the unfavorable evolution. Hope this helps and wish you the best Dr. Nsah