Noticed sore right ribs, Hurts while sitting or standing. What is causing this and cure?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I woke up a few days ago and my right rib was sore. I thought it was getting better but when I worked out yesterday, it hurt to do sit-ups and chest flies. Today, it seemed more sore bwhen I woke up, but doesn't seem to be sore when I am not moving.
Posted Thu, 26 Jul 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 4 hours later
Feeling of soreness in the ribs could be due to an injury or an inflammation in the costochondral joints.
Inflammation of costochondral joints is mostly due to a genetic predisposition. There are some autoimmune disorders also which need to be ruled out for their association like- fibromyalgia, psoriatic arthritis, ankylosing spondylitis reactive arthritis, and inflammatory bowel disease (such as ulcerative colitis and Crohn's disease).
I hope you are not having any problems related to any other joint pains and bowel movements.
Pain killers, antiinflammatory drugs- steroids and lidocaine patch are the main treatments. You need discuss all options available with your orthopedician for proper treatment.
Meanwhile doing a hot compresses will be useful pain relieving measure. You may apply a local analgesic gel on that area.
Avoid doing any exercise till the acute pain subsides.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.