Noticed smelly and black color stools after giving cow' milk and lactogen 1. Suggest substitute

Oct 2013

Hi My baby is 2 months 9 days old,from beginning I stRted giving.her cows milk with breastfeed as my milk was not sufficient for her but i have read that cows milk is not good and from yesterday I had given her lactogen 1 but she was haveing problem in motion and her stool smell very bad and today it was of black color and she have problem in sleeping I think her stomach is not full,can you tell is it good for her health and can I continue with cows milk or you suggest me some other substitute.she have some kind of rashes on her face too....before I have asked my doctor for substitute but she didn't tell me plz help me I don't know what to do and I'm afraid too Thanks XXXXXXX
Posted Thu, 28 Nov 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Namala Bharadwaj 1 hour later
Brief Answer: avoid cow milk , give lactogen1 or Nan Detailed Answer: Hello dear . Thanks for your query at XXXXXXX Young infants cannot digest cow’s milk as completely or easily as they digest formula. Also, cow’s milk contains high concentrations of protein and minerals, which can stress a newborn’s immature kidneys and cause severe illness at times of heat stress, fever, or diarrhea. Its is better to avoid for your child. Exclusive breast feeding is recommended for 6 months of age . Breast feeds have all nutrient that are required for baby growth . If breast feeding is not sufficient for baby you can give formula feeds like lactogen1. If diarrhea with formula feed you can change to Nan or similac .But not to replace breast feeds. If diarrhea avoid formula feeds and breast feed the child . If not decreasing and any signs of dehydration pediatrician consultation recommended. For rash keep are clean and dry it will decrease with time. Hope I answered your query. Regards.