Noticed small yellowish lump under skin above kneecap with red and purple bruising. Have fever. What should I do?

Dermatologist
Question
Small yellowish lump under the skin just above my kneecap. Surrounded by a huge red and purple bruising that seems to be spreading out. The lump has been there for about 3 days. The "bruising"started today. The lump doesn't hurt until I put some pressure on it. I also have a fever today.
Posted Sun, 22 Sep 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails

Answered by Dr. Rahul Kumar 18 minutes later
Brief Answer:
start antibiotic

Detailed Answer:
It appears like an abscess.
Although there should be pain in abscess, but fever suggests that there is pus in the body.
Start an oral antibiotic immediately.

Let me know the following things.
1. Is there a rise in temperature over the swelling, I mean does the lump feel much warmer than rest of your skin?
2. Do you have any difficulty in folding knee?

Please attach a photograph of the lesion.
This will help me in giving a closer diagnosis.

You have a feature to upload the reports / image by yourself at the right side of the query page, please utilize that so that I can answer your queries better. You can also send the reports/ image to YYYY@YYYY with the subject as 'ATTN: Dr. Rahul Kumar'."

Waiting for your response.
Thank you.

Follow-up: Noticed small yellowish lump under skin above kneecap with red and purple bruising. Have fever. What should I do? 6 minutes later
No difficulty bending knee and the lump does not feel any warmer that the rest of the leg. Where should i send the picture. Is there an email address i send it to? Or do i send it somewhere else? Thank you..

Answered by Dr. Rahul Kumar 24 minutes later
Brief Answer:
YYYY@YYYY

Detailed Answer:

I can comment better after seeing the picture.

You have a feature to upload the reports / image by yourself at the right side of the query page.

You can also send the image to YYYY@YYYY with the subject as 'ATTN: Dr. Rahul Kumar'."