Noticed small sized lump on neck. Concerned?

Hi, I've found a small pea sized soft movable lump (<1cm) on the left side of my neck (slightly lower) and I wonder if there's of any serious concern? I am having my menstruation and wonder if it does affect somehow. It is not obvious and can only be felt when I go look for them. Thanks!
Posted Sun, 16 Jun 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 3 hours later
From your symptoms, two possibilities are important:

1)     It can be a simple cyst which is a small bump that occur just beneath the skin surface and is common on the face and upper trunk.

2)     Second possibility is of a benign growth like a lipoma which is a small fatty tumor.

Both these conditions are not effected by menstruation.

Just apply warm compresses and take some anti inflammatory drug like Diclofenac or Iuprfen. Also keep an eye on it. If there is a change in the color, height, size or shape, you should have a dermatologist evaluate it. Also it should be examined if it bleeds, oozes, itches, appear scaly, or become tender or painful.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.