Noticed small red pimple like bump on pubic area. Cannot tell if it is ingrown hair, pimple or herpes

Infectious Diseases Specialist
Question
Can I send you a photo of my pubic area so you can examine it for herpes? I noticed a small red pimple like bump on my pubic area. I can't tell if it is an ingrown hair, pimple, or herpes? Please help.
Posted Tue, 23 Jul 2013 in Sexually Transmitted Diseases

Answered by Dr. Binod Kumar Pati 1 hour later

Greetings to XXXXXXX

Yes, you can upload it.

Along with it please do send a brief history and symptoms.

Follow-up: Noticed small red pimple like bump on pubic area. Cannot tell if it is ingrown hair, pimple or herpes 33 minutes later
I just uploaded three photos. The last time I had sex was roughly 30-35 days ago. I had protected sex, but unprotected oral sex. I also used an electric razor last night to my public area. I don't know if this is razor burn/ ingrown hair, or herpes. I tried to pop it, but it will not pop. I am afraid it is herpes. It is only one bump and looks kind of like a pimple.

Answered by Dr. Binod Kumar Pati 31 hours later
Hi
The lesions are not mimicking those of Herpes. The site is also not very typical.
Lymph nodes in the groin are usually enlarged in herpes. Commonly they erupt as tightly grouped clusters.
The lesion usually resolves maximum within 3 weeks without therapy.
Hope I am clear.
Ask me if you have more questions.
Regards.

Follow-up: Noticed small red pimple like bump on pubic area. Cannot tell if it is ingrown hair, pimple or herpes 17 minutes later
So you don't think it is herpes? What could it be?

Answered by Dr. Binod Kumar Pati 16 hours later
Welcome back
The lesion on photograph look more like
1:Infected hair follicle, 2:Burn from exposure to heat/electricity.
Do discuss the same with your dermatologist.
He will better assist you, if he will directly examine it.
Hope it's clear.