Noticed small red dot on breast. Had normal mammogram. Should I worry about this?

Dec 2013

Hi, This morning I noticed a very small red dot(3 mm) on my left breast, 1 cm far from the niple. I am 51 years old, my last periods were on October 17. I had the mammogram a year ago, which appeared fine. Should I worry about this? Thanks
Posted Mon, 9 Dec 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Sanjay Kumar Kanodia 1 hour later
Brief Answer: kindly upload few good resolution pictures Detailed Answer: Hi, Welcome and thanks for posting your query to healthcare magic. I can very well understand your concern for the red dot near breast area. There can be multiple of the possibilities of the red dot. For the best possible diagnosis I request you to kindly upload a good resolution picture of the area so that I can answer your query better. For that you have a feature to upload images by yourself at the right side of the query page, please utilize that so that I can answer your further queries. Or else, you can send as an attachment to YYYY@YYYY with the subject as "Attn: Dr. Sanjay Kumar Kanodia). With regards, Dr Sanjay MD (Dermatology)
Follow-up: Noticed small red dot on breast. Had normal mammogram. Should I worry about this? 1 hour later
I am sorry but I can't send a good quality picture because I do not have a highly qualified mobile, neither a camera. What else would you suggest to me? Thanks
Answered by Dr. Sanjay Kumar Kanodia 45 minutes later
Brief Answer: possibility is of angioma Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for your prompt reply. You need not to be worried about the unavailability of good resolution picture. As per you description it is red in color, around 3 mm, present at breast- makes a simple over view of growth from blood vessels. In most common of the instances the possibility is of angioma. These are simple over proliferation of the blood vessels and are very commonly seen in person above the age of 40 years. Most commonly post menopausal females are affected. There can be multiple of these type of red dots all over the body but can be more commonly seen over trunk region such as in your case – at breast area. These are totally benign growth and never cause any type of problem in future life. There is no possibility of cancerous growth or any other type of abnormality in these angiomas. These are also not related to any type of melanomas or related thing- so there is no need of worry for the same also. I reassure you fully for the benign nature of growth of the same. If at all you want to get rid of the same, then can go for radiocautery ablation (removal by radiocautery) in few minutes. But generally we do not go for the same as it is not required. Let me know if you have any further queries. With regards, Dr Sanjay MD (Dermatology)