Noticed small rash on hot dog worried that I consumed it. Will it pass in stools?

Hi, I was recently BBQ'ing today and noticed a small brush bristle on one of my hot dogs. I removed it, but I'm worried now if I missed any and may have swallowed it. If I did, would it pass by stool or cause complications? And if complications were caused what would be the symptoms be?
Posted Wed, 31 Jul 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Omer 1 hour later

I am Dr.Omer and I am here to help you with your query..

As you have said that you saw a brush bristle on you hot dog , and you think you ate it and now you are worried?

First of all a normal human living in any area of the world , consume millions of dust particle polluted by other substances while sleeping , walking , that we cant see .

Our body has so many cleaning ways before absorbing any food material.

Tonsils , stomach acid , compression of intestine , segregates the food and disposes of the bad stuff.

So don't worry at all , and if you did eat it which I don't think so , it will go away in 24-48 hrs.

Feel free to ask any question to alleviate your tension.

I will be happy to answer them.

Follow-up: Noticed small rash on hot dog worried that I consumed it. Will it pass in stools? 1 hour later
Oh ok, thank you so much I was concerned because I've seen more recent cases where people have swallowed the bristle and had to have surgery to have it removed is this a rare case?
Answered by Dr. Omer 20 minutes later
Hello again

Thankyou for understanding

As I have mentioned in my last message that different type of particulates are ingested by us on daily basis , due to sticky saliva that sticks that particulate and we ingest it , but dont absorb it and defecate it

The case you are referring coiuld be an incidental cause , like someone may have abdominal problem and had surgery , but made the cause of his abdominal surgery for somethine he ate a week ago

bristles of any type like carpet hair , dog hair ,brush bristle used in homes , can fly to your eat stuff and we eat it , it wont harm us , for sure

If you are that much worried drink water , have exercises more , sleeping can make you defecate faster and you can can rid of this thought

In the end i assure you that even if you have by mistake eaten that bristle nothing to worry about at all

Feel free to ask any further questions

Hope this helps

Follow-up: Noticed small rash on hot dog worried that I consumed it. Will it pass in stools? 54 minutes later
Ok, thanks so much for peace of mind! Here is a link of a article I was talking about

Answered by Dr. Omer 12 hours later
Hello again

I have read the article about Beck's case that he underwent surgery for a tiny wire from barbecue brush.

It is a very very rare case, copper wire ingestion can cause this, but again it is very rare.

I assure you that this happens in one in billion people and you may not worry about it as the chances are very very less. Besides you don't have any pain in abdomen and its been more than 10 hrs that you think you have ingested that bristle.

Once again I'll say that you should not be even bothered about that bristle at all.

Wishing you health and happiness