Noticed small, painless lump under ear and above jaw. What could it be?

I have a small, painless (unless I push on it) lump about 1 cm in size below and a little to the front of my right ear, above the jaw line. It is soft but firm. It seems to be right under the skin, but attached to it because I can't move it under the skin. I noticed it when I woke up in the morning (it wasn't there the day before).It's not perfectly round, it is taller than it is wide. In the picture it's a bit red since I've been pushing on it. It's been about the same size since it appeared a few days ago.
Posted Thu, 25 Apr 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Tanusree Biswas 16 minutes later
Hello..Welcome to XXXXXXX

I have seen the picture uploaded.There are two main possibilities here:

1) Nodulo-cystic acne : This is a deeper form of pimples .It can happen singly or in multiple numbers .I saw a few acne lesions in the photo uploaded , hence this is a possibility for you.It is treated by Intra-Lesional injection of corticosteroids.May/may not require antibiotics in addition.

2) Sebaceous Cyst : Sometimes cysts can be noticed only when they are infected and increase in size .This is a common type of cyst and is treated by oral anti biotics or excisions after the initial inflammation has subsided.

Hope this information is helpful to you.
i will be happy to answer any follow up queries you have.

Best Wishes,
Follow-up: Noticed small, painless lump under ear and above jaw. What could it be? 18 minutes later
Is there any risk that it is saliva gland cancer or a swollen lymph node?
Answered by Dr. Tanusree Biswas 25 minutes later
Thanks of following up.

It does not look like a lymph node ..Lymph node swelling should be hard.Site is uncommon as well.So I do not think so.

It is not a salivary gland cancer or any growth related to the salivary gland.

Best Wishes,