Noticed small lump in breast. Expecting periods. What could have caused lump?

My 18 year old daughter just found a lump about the size of a marble in her right breast. She is understandably very concerned because I (her mother) am XXXXXXX II positive. She is expecting her period any day, and has never noticed this lump before. Please advise.
Posted Tue, 3 Dec 2013 in Breast Cancer
Answered by Dr. Kulsoom Qureshi 20 minutes later
Brief Answer: Get her examined by an expert. Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for consulting us. Most lumps in girls of her age are benign, but your concerns are right due to your family history. I suggest that you wait for her periods, as sometimes due to fluid retention in the premenstrual phase, such problems arise, as breast become more glandular & nodular. If this persist after her periods, go to your doctor for confirmation & necessary investigation. As God forbid, if it turns out to be a malignant tumor, early treatment is conservative & curative. I appreciate that your daughter is conducting self examination, & I hope she will continue to do it on regular basis. Wish you & your daughter good health & happy life. Best of luck. Hope