Noticed small lump above pubic bone, causing pain and slight burning sensation. What should I do?

Excellent

Gastroenterologist, Surgical
Question
I am a 70 year old male in good health. In the last 4 weeks I've noticed (and felt) a lump above my pubic bone (just to the right of center) when standing, it will go away when I sit or lay down. The lump is fairly soft and about the size of a small egg when its out. It hurts and causes pain when its out but none when it goes back in except for some slight burning in that area for a few minutes after receding.
Posted Fri, 6 Dec 2013 in Abdominal Pain

Answered by Dr. Ketan Vagholkar 16 minutes later
Brief Answer: The swelling is most probably a hernia Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for writing in. The symptoms which you have described classically fit into a diagnosis of an inguinal hernia on the right side. The onset of pain and discomfort suggests increasing size and the possibility of complications such as irreducibility and damage to the blood supply of the pouting contents. You need to visit a general surgeon at the earliest and get yourself operated. I hope this answers your doubt. Regards

Follow-up: Noticed small lump above pubic bone, causing pain and slight burning sensation. What should I do? 1 hour later
Would a hernia belt help? Can't see surgeon for 4 weeks.

Answered by Dr. Ketan Vagholkar 41 minutes later
Brief Answer: Hernia belt has no therapeutic value. Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for the feedback. Hernia belt or truss as it traditionally called is of no use at all. It in fact it causes damage to the overlying skin as well as can cause adhesions amongst the contents of hernia rendering the hernia irreducible. I hope this answers your doubt. Regards