Noticed small hard lump on butt crack line. No pain or redness. How to get rid of this?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I am a 33 year old male with a small hard bump near the top of my butt crack line. I notice it when I sit down or by touching it. No redness or pain, what otc drugs can i get to get rid of this? More annoying than anything.
Posted Thu, 14 Feb 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 49 minutes later
A small hard bump near the top of the butt crack line is likely to be due to a pilonidal cyst or a sebaceous cyst or lipoma. Such subcutaneous swellings usually remain asymptomatic until these get infected.
If there is no pain, redness or discharge from the area, then it is not likely to be infected and does not need any treatment. In case it gets infected, then surgical resection should be considered after taking adequate antibiotics.
Such swellings are difficult to reduce using any OTC agents. A direct examination by a physician will help in confirmation of the diagnosis.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.