Noticed small, hard and painful lump on inner thigh. Any idea what this might be?

Hello. I'm a 25 year old male who about 5 days ago noticed a small (1/4-1/2" diameter) lump on my inner thigh, about 4 inches below where my leg meets my pelvis. It has since grown to about 3" in diameter and is quite hard and painful. There does seem to be a head in the middle that if pressed appears to have fluid behind it but everything else is quite hard. Any idea what this might be? I've never had any issues with anything like this before, and it is warm to the touch...
Posted Sat, 17 Nov 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 1 hour later
Hello and thank you for sending your question.

You are describing symptoms which are very classic for an infected sebaceous cyst. These are very common and usually occur in parts of the body where there is heat and moisture in the area of a hair follicle.

Classically these types of things cause swelling as well as pain. I would encourage you not to try to press on the area or to pop the cyst . The best thing to do is warm compresses three or four times a day. Also you might consider soaking in a warm bath tub a few times a day as well. The warm water and compresses will help to open up the pores in the area to release some of the pressure.

Occasionally these types of things will progress and become more painful despite the supportive measures which I have mentioned. In that case you might need an antibiotic. I would give this another couple of days to see if the symptoms improved. If not you should contact your doctor to talk about possible antibiotics.

Thanks again for sending your question. I hope you have found my response to be helpful. I would expect this area to resolve over the next couple of weeks.

Dr. Robert