Noticed small bump with redness around penis foreskin. Negative for STD, taking augmentin for sinusitis.

I'm a healthy 28 year male. I have noticed a couple of very small bumps with redness around them on my penis foreskin. I am circumsized.

Here are some important facts:
-I am a virgin...I have never had intercourse.
-I have been tested as of 8 months ago for all STDs including both simplex of herpes and am negative.
- No one has come in contact with this area since then. I have kissed one person since being tested.
-The bumps are completely pain-free to the touch, although there is redness around them.
-They have been present for 2 days and may appear to be getting slightly more prominent
-I am currently taking 875mg of Augmentin twice a day for sinusitis. I have gotten a yeast infection before on my penis from taking heavy antibiotics in the past.

I hope this is ample information. I have attached a few photos. Please note that because of the flash, they appear much redder than they really are. I have to really try hard to see them. But, as you can see, I try very hard to be healthy in this area so anything is concerning.
PS - I also feel a mild burning sensation but I cannot tell if it's just in my head or actually there.

Thank you.
Posted Sun, 16 Jun 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Geetika Paul 1 hour later

Thanks for your query

I understand your concern and hope I will be able to help you in the same.

I have had a close view of the skin lesions that you have developed. It looks like you have again started to develop a fungal infection involving your penile region.
Since you have a history of similar infection in the past, such infections can occur whenever anyone is on oral antibiotics.

You should clean the affected area twice a day with lukewarm saline water and apply a topical antifungal cream like clotrimazole cream over the affected area .
Wear cotton undergarments so as to decrease sweating.

Do not apply any other creams or oils over the affected area. Keep the area clean and dry.

Now your concern is regarding whether it is a sexually transmitted disease.
Candidal infection of the genitals can be sexually transmitted or it can even occur without any contact.
Such an infection is common in patients on oral antibiotics, diabetes and in immunosupressed people.
So you need not worry, just apply the topical medicines and I am sure the skin lesions will heal.
In addition, you can take oral antihistamines if there is any associated burning sensation or itching.
If the skin lesions increase in spite of treatment then you may need a course of oral antifungal drugs.

Hope it helps

If you have any other query, please let me know

Dr Geetika Paul
Follow-up: Noticed small bump with redness around penis foreskin. Negative for STD, taking augmentin for sinusitis. 31 minutes later
Thank you doctor for your great reply. Are you certain this is not herpes? I know my history does not point to it but judging by the photos does it look like it? I am just a big worrier. Thank you.
Answered by Dr. Geetika Paul 9 minutes later

I understand your concern but I can assure you that the lesions does not look like those of herpes.
You just have small reddish bumps which point more towards an initial candida infection.
Herpes lesions present either with fluid filled vesicles or with very painful ulcers. This is not so in your case for sure.
So just relax and do the treatment that I have told.
You can surely contact of again on this forum if you feel that the lesions are not healing inspite of treatment.
But I am sure that you will benefit from the treatment that has been prescribed.

Anything bothering you, please let me know
Hope it helps
Wishing you speedy recovery

Dr Geetika Paul
Follow-up: Noticed small bump with redness around penis foreskin. Negative for STD, taking augmentin for sinusitis. 36 minutes later
Thank you Doctor. One final question regarding treatment. I have some leftover prescription cream with Clotrimazole and Betamethasone. Will this be good for treatment? I know you mentioned Clotrimazole being ideal but will the Betamethasone being a part of the cream be ok too?

Thank you again for being so kind and so helpful.
Answered by Dr. Geetika Paul 5 minutes later

I would rather recommend that you should use plain clotrimazole cream over the affected area.
Beclomethasone is a topical steroid and I won't suggest that you should use the same unless indicated.

Hope it helps

Dr Geetika Paul