Noticed small black and red spot on inner left check. What could it be?

Emergency Medicine Specialist
Hi Ihave small black/red spot on my inner left check there is no lump or pain and I just notice it today what could it be???
Posted Fri, 23 Nov 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. R.A. Singh 35 minutes later

Red spot on the inner side of cheek can be the result of trauma - accidental biting or might be the beginning of an oral ulcer. Rarely this may be a viral or skin infection.

I suggest you to try Benzocaine topical gel on the spot three times a day before meals; take B complex vitamins supplements and avoid spicy foods and very hot beverages. The spots should resolve in a few days. If persisting, please visit your primary health care provider for careful examination.

I hope this is useful to you. In case you have any further queries, I will be happy to help.

Follow-up: Noticed small black and red spot on inner left check. What could it be? 56 minutes later

Thanks for you reply the color of the spot is more like a black looks like a mole defintely could be resullt of accidental biting but I can't remeber anything else it could be -

Like all I have looked on the internet and everything I brought up said cancer which I know I should not be worried about. I do get ulcers from time to time and this is nothing like it, I do have fillings on that side my mouth so could it be anything else????

Kind Regards XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. R.A. Singh 51 minutes later

If the color of the spot is black, it is likely a pigmented spot. It usually will fade away with time. However reddish black spot can be due to submucosal hemorrhage due to some injury.

In all possibilities, you need not worry. You should observe it for few weeks.

It will need medical attention if it is accompanied with pain or size of the spot increases.

Hope this answers your query. Let me know if there are other concerns.