Noticed slurring words, brain feels sluggish and bit tired. Drinking beers and marijuana joint. Looking for cure

Neurologist
Question
Hello I'm wondering why in the past few months by midday
Im slurring my words
I'm 48
Recently dont need thyroid pills no more
And by midday brain feels slower sluggish a bit tired

A couple times a week
I drink a few beers
And marajuana joint (1)
Posted Mon, 3 Sep 2012 in Drug Abuse

Answered by Dr. Pratap Sanchetee 5 hours later

Slurring which appears by afternoon only does not appear to be a serious brain disease. It coupled with other symptoms appears to be related to anxiety/depression, thyroid problem or to marijuana

I suggest you for;

i) Get an examination by your hypothyroid) as you are taking thyroid pill. I assume it is not hyperthyroid as has been mentioned in your history.

iii) In consultation with your doctor, get a routine blood tests and thyroid hormone assay. Try to reduce or stop marijuana.

Please do write back for follow up queries that you may have.

Pratap

Follow-up: Noticed slurring words, brain feels sluggish and bit tired. Drinking beers and marijuana joint. Looking for cure 1 hour later
Was hyper before
It has levelled off off pill for 4 months

Nice to know that anxiety state is under control now. Other advice remains same.

Pratap

Follow-up: Noticed slurring words, brain feels sluggish and bit tired. Drinking beers and marijuana joint. Looking for cure 5 hours later
Sorry I meant hyperthyroid
Before not hyper per se
Off thyroid pill for 5 months .

Anxiety is fine

Thx a lot

Answered by Dr. Pratap Sanchetee 10 hours later
Hi

I will suggest you in addition to above to have thyroid status checked like Serum TSH, T3 and T4.

Pratap