Noticed slight spotting. Pelvic scan to be done. What is the risk for gynaecological cancer?

May 2013
Hi, I have had some slight spotting, am 65 years old. Next week I will have a pelvic scan and see the consultant with those results. Can you tell me how often this is some type of gynaecological cancer, and how often it is just part of the aging process. Thank you.
Posted Fri, 3 Aug 2012 in Cervical and Ovarian Cancer
Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 44 minutes later
the possible causes for your bleeding are,

the common causes are,
-endometrial atropy: as in menopause endometrial layer will become very thin as there will be decreased estrogen, so when slight breaks appear on the surface because of thinness blood vessels will expose and it can bleed,

-infection of uterus or cervix or injury to local organs,

-presence of cervical polyp or endometrial polyps can cause bleeding,

-endometrial hyperplasia: in some women because of obesity etc excess estrogen will produce in the body that will lead to endometrial hyperplasia which can bleed,

rare causes are,
-endometrial or cervical malignancies can also present with spotting but compared with above causes these are rare,
so you don't worry undergo examination and scan once which will find out the actual cause.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries. If you are satisfied with all my answer, please rate the answer after closing the discussion.