Noticed semi hard lump in armpit. What could this be?

Hello, I am a male aged 43, nonsmoker, 6ft tall, weight 235 lbs, regular appetite, and I feel fine. I have a lump in my left armpit, less than 1 cm diameter, not painful, and easily moveable. It has been there for at least two weeks. It does not seem to be growing; nor does it seem to be shrinking. It does not seem "attached" to the skin and I can move it easily. When squeezed, it does not hurt; however when squeezed it also doesn't collapse or dissipate. I'd call it semi-hard when squeezed. Please advise.
Posted Fri, 20 Dec 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Geetika Paul 52 minutes later
Brief Answer: Axillary lymph node Detailed Answer: Hi, I understand your concern regarding your skin problem and I hope I am able to help you in the same. Now from the description that you have provided, you seem u have developed an axillary lymph node swelling. Since there is nothing over the skin surface and it all lies below the skin, it must have been an enlarged axillary lymph node. Such swellings of the lymph node can occur if there is any infection over the chest or back. Even any kind of trauma over these areas can lead to such swelling. Now since it is a single swelling and is painless and freely mobile, I would advise you not to worry about it. The only reason to be concerned can be, if there is a sudden increase in size of the node or associated pain. In any other case, it is best to leave it as such. It will decrease in size of its own in sometime. If you have any other queries, please ask. Dr Geetika Paul
Follow-up: Noticed semi hard lump in armpit. What could this be? 11 minutes later
Thanks for your response. There is no pain and no increase in size. Although the node has not seemed to decrease in size in the two weeks since I noticed it, from what you have said I should simply leave it alone. I will therefore just let it be. Thanks again!
Answered by Dr. Geetika Paul 3 minutes later
Brief Answer: Axillary lymph node Detailed Answer: Hi again Yes you should not worry about it . Only if til size tends to increase any further or there is any associated pain, then you need to be assessed by a doctor. Else, it is bound to decrease by itself in sometime. Dr Geetika Paul