Noticed sand like particles in ejaculate. What are the complications?

I ejaculated today and there were sand like particles in my ejaculate. Never heard of that before. There was a little discomfort earlier today when I urinated.
Posted Thu, 8 Nov 2012 in Men's Health
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 3 hours later
Hi, thanks for using healthcare magic

It may be prostatic concretions which are basically concentrations of prostatic secretions that also contain calcium carbonate and phosphate.It is often associated with inflammation/infection of the prostate.
Prostatic concretions are more commonly seen in men older than you are, in most cases.
The concretions themselves may not require treatment but if inflammation/infection of the prostate (it is accompained by painful urination- you may be in the early phase)is present then antibiotic treatment is necessary.

It would be best, if possible, for you to visit your doctor. A sample of the ejaculate should be carried to allow it to be examined which would allow for a definative diagnosis.

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions