Noticed running nose after waking up. Noticed whisleling or cracking of ears while blowing nose. Suggest?

For many years when I get up in the morning my nose begins to run. I go through multiple handkerchiefs so I switched to bounty paper towels to absorb the mycus. This lasts for two or more hours. For the last two months when I blow my nose both ears are whisleling or cracking, etc. I plan a trip to Hawaii so I fear the plane trip with this condition.
Posted Sat, 3 Aug 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Anantharamakrishnan 2 hours later
Hi friend,
Welcome to Health Care Magic

This is very likely from Allergy.
Because of the long duration, it is wiser to have a CT scan of the sinuses to exclude any basic lesion.
Test (like RAST) may find a cause – if found, de-sensitisation may be attempted.
Pets, carpets, air conditioners, pillow cases and sheets need a look....
The middle ear is connected to the throat by a Eustachian tube and hence the ear symptoms – Ear, Nose and Throat tend to go together

The plane trip will most likely be uneventful.
Ear plugs, Over The Counter (OTC) anti-histamines help / decongestant nose sprays (drops) with or without steroids help
An ENT (Ear Nose Throat) specialist and Allergy specialist will help...

Wishing speedy recovery
God bless