Noticed round, dark purple spot on upper lip. Could it be a blood blister or something?

Pathologist and Microbiologist
Question
I just noticed a very small (like pencil tip size) round, dark purple spot on my upper lip. It doesnt hurt or itch or is swollen or anything. I dont remember seeing it yesterday or the day before, i just noticed while looking in the mirror while washing my hands. What could this be? My mom said it looks like it could be a blood blister or something. I do bite my lips sometimes, but mostly my bottom lip, not the top.
Posted Wed, 15 May 2013 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Shailja Puri 12 minutes later

Thanks for posting your query on XXXXXXX

The lesion on the lip could be a blood blister (hemangioma).
However, it is unlikely for it to appear suddenly Hemangiomas are growths arising from the blood vessels. They are benign but do not appear so suddenly.

On the basis of the history and clinical appearance of the lesion it appears that it can be due to an insect bite or an allergic reaction.

Is there any history of an insect bite or any drug intake in the recent past?
If yes then it could be due to any of these causes.

If you have more queries, I will be glad to answer.
Dr Shailja P Wahal

Follow-up: Noticed round, dark purple spot on upper lip. Could it be a blood blister or something? 1 hour later
there has been no drug intake, but it is possible it could be a bug bite, now that the weather is warming up. I feel better with your first answer, that it could be a blood blister, as that is what it most looks like. I dont know if it came on as suddenly as i thought. While i didnt notice it until this morning, my boyfriend did indicate he saw it yesterday but just thought i had food or something on my lip. So its possible it started to appear a day or two ago and i just noticed this morning/

Answered by Dr. Shailja Puri 12 hours later
Hello and welcome again,

If the lesion appeared just one or two days ago, it is unlikely to be a hemangioma.
It is most probably a blood blister caused by an insect bite (bug bite asyou mentioned).
You can take an antihitaminic drug (eg cetrizine). The lesion will subside if it is due to an allergic reaction to the insect bite.
If the lesion becomes painful or develops itching or any other symptom then you need to consult your doctor for clinical evaluation and further work up.

Dr Shailja P Wahal