Ask a Urologist   »  

Noticed redness and swelling on penis head. Any ideas?

I have a small bite like opening on head of penis. Red and local swelling around site, with histamine trail of swelling in diminishing line to the right of it. Any ideas?
Posted Sat, 30 Mar 2013 in Penis Problems
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 1 hour later

From the history and looking at image given it seems that you might be having balanitis, a inflammatory state of the glans penis.

It could have occurred due to abrasion of the penis during the oral sexual encounter. Since the penis is a highly vascular organ, any slight superficial injury will appear like a red or bluish "Angry" looking lesion. This is a benign condition and heals on its own.

Application of 1 % Hydrocortisone cream to the red and inflamed part of the penis might help reduce the discomfort and sensitivity.

In addition taking medication like Ibuprofen 400 mg three times a day will help in early resolution of the symptoms.

In case the oral sex was provided by a person not known to you, the chances of STDs could be higher. In such a situation testing for STDs including gonorrhea, chlamydia and herpes would be helpful to prevent further spread of infection and more complications.

In addition development of symptoms including fever, mucopurulent discharge, burning micturition, ulceration, bleeding from the area and enlarged lymph nodes in the groin are symptoms that you should watch out for. In such a situation consulting a doctor for an examination and STD testing might be helpful in such a situation.

Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.

Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.

Dr. Rakhi Tayal.
Follow-up: Noticed redness and swelling on penis head. Any ideas? 31 minutes later
Thank you. I have not been with any other partners.... I have no discharge, pain, or other symptoms. I masturbated the evening 24 hrs prior to it showing up, but no sexual activity week prior. Any additional thoughts?
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 26 minutes later

Thanks for writing again.

In that case possibility of STDs is less likely. This is likely to be a self limiting lesion and is likely to improve over next week. Please do not worry.

Hope, my answer is helpful.

Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.

Follow-up: Noticed redness and swelling on penis head. Any ideas? 15 minutes later
It showed up last Sunday night. I had trimmed my pubic hair with electronic trimmer. I do not recall "catching" the head of my penis with it. I then took a shower. The lesion was noticed after my shower. It has remained virtually unchanged through today. Any additional thoughts?
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 36 minutes later
Thanks for the additional information.

Inflammation of the glans are triggered by infection and allergens. It is hard to diffierentiate these 2 causes and so, this lesion may have been caused due to an allergic dermatitis too.

I would suggest you to avoid intercourse until it is healed. Do wear cotton undergarments to avoid any irritation in the area.

Careful physical examination by your local doctor is warranted if the symptoms worsen.

Hope this helped.