Noticed redness and swelling on outer ear. How to cure this?

Oncologist, Surgical
I have been picking at my outer ear for a month creating a cut now I think the outside portion of my ear is infected it is red and swollen around the cut and it won't heal because I keep picking at it
Posted Mon, 29 Apr 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Rohan Khandelwal 30 minutes later
Dear Sir,

Sorry to hear about your problem. The condition you are describing is known as otitis externa (swelling of the outer part of the ear) and is commonly occurs due to constant itching of that area which is then followed by infection.
To improve the condition, you need to lubricate that area, as dryness precipitates itching. You can use any moisturising ointment for the same. In addition as it is infected, use topical mupirocin ointment (twice a day) for atleast 3-5 days.
If the condition persists after 3-5 days, please visit an ENT surgeon to evaluate your ear.

Hope you get well soon.