Ask a Urologist   »  

Noticed redness and pain on penis tip of a child. How to treat it?

My year old son was circumcised at birth and always seemed to have more foreskin than normal. My pediatrician would just tell me to make sure to pull it down and clean the penis after baths. Tonight when I did that I noticed the skin under the head of his penis is very red and its painful when I touch it or wipe it. Its defiantly a sore, I'm just not sure how to treat it. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thank you.
Posted Thu, 20 Dec 2012 in Penis Problems
Answered by Dr. G.Srinivasan 1 hour later
Welcome to XXXXXXX
Sorry to hear about him.
At birth, since the penis is very small, assessment of how much skin to be removed may not be easy for many surgeons.
So after the procedure, foreskin may be little extra and so it is prone for infection.
The best approach is to see a doc asap.
Till then, you may apply antibacterial ointment like BACITRACIN/SORRAMYCIN/FUCIDIN, thrice daily for a week.
Of course, hygiene is a must.
If infection occurs repeatedly, he may need re-operation to remove the excess skin.
Hope this helps. Kindly do not hesitate to revert back for doubts if any.