Ask a Urologist   »  

Noticed redness and dry patches on penis. Applying neosporin on it. Any effective solution?

Hello. I have been using a battery operated penis pump. My penis has turned red and has dry patches on the shaft. I also have a couple places where the skin has seperated slightly. It is not infected and I dont have any pain. I have been putting neosporin on it. I dont know what the proper solution is to my problem.
Posted Tue, 23 Apr 2013 in Penis Problems
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 2 hours later

It looks like chafing skin which occurs when the skin becomes irritated by the friction caused by rubbing against other skin or against a foreign material.

Follow these methods for a quick relief from this redness:

1)     Wear cotton clothes and underwear and avoid wearing any coarse or synthetic material. When doing exercise wear athletic tights or cycling shorts.

2)     Wear clean and dry clothes and use a mild detergent to wash them. Dried sweat, chemicals, dirt, and other debris may aggravate the condition.

3)     You can apply some calamine lotion at the rash as it will help in soothing the skin.

4)     Application of mild corticosteroid cream and oral antiinflammatories after a prescription from your doctor are helpful in reduction of the redness and inflammation.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.