Ask a Urologist   »  

Noticed red urine and pink stains when wipe. Had total hysterectomy. What should I do?

General Surgeon
Sometimes my urine is red. If I drink water this changes. My back hurts off and on. For the last two weeks I have noticed pink stains when I wipe. This does not occur every day. However, I am worried because in 2010 I had a total hysterectomy. Where is this coming from and what should I do?
Posted Mon, 11 Nov 2013 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Urinary tract infection.

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for the query.

Even if you do not have uterine, still some bleeding from vagina can happen. This usually indicates some issue in this area and should be verified by gyneacologist.
However most probable reason of red urine is blood caused by urinary tract infection or stones.
So the first step you should take is urine analysis and abdominal ultrasound. If the infection will be confirmed, antibiotic should be prescribed. Stones without kidney changes can be treated with increased mineral water intake and cranberries supplementation.
If the blood in the urine will be without infection, urologist consult and cystoscopy should be performed.
And in a meanwhile gynecologist should be visited as well.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.