Noticed red spots on face and have itching. Test for herpes simplex and result negative. Suggestions?

hi there. Could you tell me what this irritatiOn next to my mouth is? I was rubbing my face today from an itch and when I look in the mirror later, I had FoUr Red Dots. They appear to be on Hair follicles. It has a similar feeling to razor burn. coincidently, I was tested for herpes simplex 1 and 2 a couple of weeks ago and am negative for both. I don't know if that information helps but I just thought I would throw it in. the bumps are not raised above the skin it seems. I do feel a certain constant slight burning though. thank you.

ust a quick correction. These do not seem to be over hair follicles afterall. They more seem like a scratch or something that created a perfect line of several small lesions. They do not hurt to touch and are flat with the skin. I put some antibiotic cream (Neosporin) on and the redness significantly went down. Just giving you a small update for diagnosis. Thank you.

Hi - I have uploaded one more photo from today 24 hours after the original 2 photos. The day 2 photo is entitled Mouth Bump.jpg
Posted Thu, 11 Jul 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Jorge Brenes-Salazar 7 days later

thanks for your health concerns. Given the appearance and the symptoms, it may be a manifestation of contact dermatitis, either related to a food or a topical lotion applied to your face (eg. a different shaving cream or cologne). I have seen some similar examples in patients that have consumed citrics, mangoes, berries and particularly if they expose themselves to sun shortly after eating those. This should be self limited; natural remedies would include chamomille or aloe vera; hydrocortisone cream at 1% would also hasten recovery

yours truly

Dr Brenes Salazar MD
Mayo Clinic MN