Noticed red painless bump on the white part of eye. Looks like raised blood vessels. What is this?

I have a small diameter (smaller than pupil, approx 2 mm) red painless bump on the white of my left eye (temple side). My wife says it looks raised with blood vessels shooting out from it radially away from the iris. She also said it isn't soft (she touched it). I wonder what it is...I couldn't even really feel that it was there until she mentioned it, then I looked in the mirror and my "awareness" of it causes me to slightly feel it. Otherwise I would have just assumed my eyes were bloodshot from lack of sleep, but I've slept rather well this past week.Has my photo been uploaded (.JPG file)? I don't see it under uploaded reports. XXXXXXX
Posted Wed, 21 Nov 2012 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Answered by Dr. Mihir Shah 6 hours later
I have seen the photo.It is a pinguecula.
A pinguecula is a common, non-cancerous growth of the clear, thin tissue (conjunctiva) that lays over the white part of the eye (sclera).The cause is unknown, but long-term sunlight exposure and eye irritation may contribute to its development. Welding is a major job-related risk.

Usually no treatment is needed. Lubrication with artificial tears, and sometimes the temporary use of mild steroid eye drops can be helpful. Rarely, the growth may need to be removed if you have discomfort or for cosmetic reasons.

I hope I have answered your query.I will be available to answer any furthur queries if you have any.

Best regards,
Dr.Mihir Shah