Noticed red mark on the rim of the penis after unprotected sex. What could this be?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Mar 2013
Mar 2013
Question
Last week I had quick unprotected sex, the morning after I noticed a small painless red mark on the rim of my penis head and a similar small red line of the head. There is no pain, itching or any other symptoms. The line has gone but the mark still remains although is has gotten less red. I'm hoping it's perhaps trauma or a sort of friction mark but I'm unsure?
Posted Wed, 1 Jan 2014 in Sexually Transmitted Diseases

Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 1 hour later
Brief Answer: FRICTION MARK MOST LIKELY Detailed Answer: Hello Thanks for writing to us with your health concern. The way you describe it, it sounds like a friction/ abrasion mark. This sometimes happens after intercourse, particularly rough intercourse / masturbation. Do not handle the area at all, or apply any kind of ointments /creams ( since there is no pain or itching ). Also, do not rub or clean vigorously, just wash gently with lukewarm water and paty dry. As the line has already disappeared and the mark is also lessening, chances are very high that this was a friction mark. Since you DID indulge in unprotected sex, it is always a good idea to have an STD screen after 6 weeks. This is just generally advisable, no point in your history points towards an STD. All the best. Please feel free to discuss further.

Follow-up: Noticed red mark on the rim of the penis after unprotected sex. What could this be? 11 minutes later
Thanks for your response. That's what I thought, there has been no other symptom toms with it and it doesn't look like any sort of sore. How long can it take for things like that to heal? I am also uncircumsized which I assume may make a difference?

Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 44 minutes later
Brief Answer: DETAILED BELOW Detailed Answer: Hello Thank you for the appreciation. A friction / abrasion mark would go down in a week's time if there is no other subsequent insult. Being uncircumsized would increase your chances of having an abrasion as the foreskin repeatedly rubs against the glans and penis head.

Follow-up: Noticed red mark on the rim of the penis after unprotected sex. What could this be? 6 minutes later
Well that's been about a week and I can still see althought, like in said, it has gotten less obvious. It seems almost invisible when the skin is stretched. That's why I thought it was more of a friction mark than any thing else. Does that make sense?

Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 1 minute later
Brief Answer: DETAILED BELOW Detailed Answer: A week is a frame of time, not specific. It can be give or take a couple of days. As you are saying, it is almost gone by now. Yes, it goes in support of a friction mark, as it is in the crease of the skin folds.