Noticed red line in arm. Hurts while pressing on it. No bruise or injury. How to get relief?

I have a 3 day old red line in my right arm. It hurts only went I press on it. I have no fever but I m worried i don't know what it is. No bites or injury. The only thing I can think off is Iv giving to me a week earlier and some pain killer but the redness is below it not exact with the insertion of needle
Posted Tue, 28 Aug 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Pragnesh Vachharajani 2 hours later

When ever I.V.Injection is given, in few number of patients due to drug injected or just due to needle prick it self the vein gets inflamed. This is known as thrombophlebitis.

This can happen along the course of vein, may be above or below it.

Depending upon the degree of inflammation it may give rise to pain and discomfort in variable intensity.

Just apply some ice pack over the area. You can analgesics if it is bothering you.

Other wise this should be fine in couple of days.

If the pain or redness increases, please consult your doctor and get your self examined for further evaluation and treatment.

I hope this helps.