Ask a Urologist   »  

Noticed red, itchy penis head under foreskin. Using lamisil. Suggest some quick remedy

pale penis head under foreskin. Nothing is actually secreting or discharging just a change in color, sometimes it smells. It got red and itchy at one point I have been treating it with lamisil and over the counter anti fungal after i shower and dry the head of my penis with a hair dryer. I have also tried with just hand drying with a towel. Neither have seemed to completely eliminate this problem. Normally my glans are a more red color with no paleness and.

orginally diagnosed as yeast infection by my doctor who didnt actually look, just guessed.

I chew tabbaco daily, could this contribute?

I masturbate aswell except I have been trying to obstain since these symptoms have been occuring. I have not completely

I also wash with soap and shower twice daily.

Looking for a quick fix, seeing my girlfriend this weekend

I am sexually active with one partner and we have both only had sex with only eachother.

Posted Sat, 5 Jan 2013 in Penis Problems
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 2 hours later
I have gone through your question and feel that everything is normal and probably you are overdoing as far as hygiene of your glans is concerned.
The odour you are talking about is the natural odour caused by smegma.
Smegma is a cheesy secretion from under the foreskin that acts as lube.
Washing this area with soap removes ALL the smegma, leaving this area to dry out and subject to odour causing bacterial infections. Rinsing this area with clean shower water removes the excess (water soluble) smegma leaving a micro thin layer to protect, ward off bacteria, and keep the glans moist and sensitive.
Since you don't have any discharge or burning in urine,STD is ruled out.
As far as anti fungal ointments are concerned,application for two weeks is enough.
The colour of glans varies from pale to pink to purple and it depends upon the blood vessels ( capillaries ) under the very thin skin,which covers it.
I feel every thing is normal with you.
Just be happy and enjoy.

I hope it helps.
Please do let me know if you have any additional concern.
Best of luck