Noticed red bumps on legs and arms. Underlying cause and cure?

Dermatologist
Question
i'm 64 yrs old & have noticed red bumps on both legs & both arms that do not itch and are not going away. they are not in clusters like a rash, but rather like individual pimples..no where else just on arms & legs. any ideas & is so..remedies ?? thanks
Posted Fri, 5 Apr 2013 in Skin Rash

Answered by Dr. Tanusree Biswas 23 minutes later

Thanks for sharing your query.

There are several reasons why this kind of rash can happen. This may be folliculitis, eczema, keratosis pillars etc.

In order to help you better, I would like to see a picture of the above lesions in good resolution.
Also would like to know how long these lesions have been present?
Are the growing in number and size?
Do you have any symptoms associated?

If you have a picture of the lesions or the reports of any relevant tests done, you can upload them here. Or you can send a mail to

YYYY@YYYY

with Sub: ATTN DR.TANUSHREE BISWAS.

I will be happy to answer your follow up queries.

Best wishes,
DR.TANUSHREE BISWAS

Follow-up: Noticed red bumps on legs and arms. Underlying cause and cure? 1 hour later
don't know how to upload pic...sorry. i can tell you the following: i've noticed for about 1 month, seem to grow in number but not size, no other symptons.also i take a hot bath every nite & use body lotion on legs only, not arms (i have them on arms too) My skin is more dry than oily...hope this helps...thanks, norm

Answered by Dr. Tanusree Biswas 10 minutes later

Thanks for following up.

You can click a picture and send them via email to

YYYY@YYYY

Write in the Subject: ATTN DR.TANUSHREE BISWAS.

In skin, the common lesions possible are:
1) Folliculitis : Infections of hair follicle most commonly caused by bacteria. They need a course of antibiotic for resolution.

2) Keratosis Pilaris: Horny keratotic material in the hair follicles.

3) Ingrown hair: Caused by shaving or spontaneously in some people. The hair creates an inflammation in the surrounding skin to appear like red bumps.

4) Eczematous eruptions: This is a common thing in dry skin, mostly itchy.

5) Cherry angioma or any vascular growth /lesion is common and may present like bumps.

You may consult your dermatologist for an accurate diagnosis of the same.
Will be happy to provide further information.

Take care,
DR.TANUSHREE BISWAS

Follow-up: Noticed red bumps on legs and arms. Underlying cause and cure? 39 minutes later
do you have pics of the above symptons that you can forward to me and i can let you know which looks most like what i have ??

Answered by Dr. Tanusree Biswas 27 minutes later

You can have a look at the following links to the pictures of the differential diagnoses I mentioned.

FOLLICULITIS
WWW.WWWW.WW
CHERRY ANGIOMA
WWW.WWWW.WW
KERATOSIS PILARIS
WWW.WWWW.WW
INGROWN HAIR
WWW.WWWW.WW
ECZEMA
WWW.WWWW.WW
Please let me know if anything here is close to what you have.

Best wishes,
DR.TANUSHREE BISWAS

Follow-up: Noticed red bumps on legs and arms. Underlying cause and cure? 3 hours later
looks most like folliculitis except no puss head

Answered by Dr. Tanusree Biswas 51 minutes later

If folliculitis , you can apply an antibiotic cream containing Mupirocin 2 % 2-3 times daily for 10 days.
Certain cases need oral antibiotic therapy which can be prescribed by your physician.

You can take anti inflammatory medicine to reduce the pain/ discomfort if any.

Warm saline compresses help drain any inflammatory fluid collection in the lesions.

Take care to avoid any friction/pulling of hair.

If you do not have any clarifications, you may close this and rate the answer.

Hope this is helpful to you.

Wish you speedy recovery,
DR.TANUSHREE BISWAS