Noticed red bumps on face after shave. Is it cold sore? Suggestions?

Hi Doctor,

I am a healthy 29 year old male. Today, I shaved my face for the first time in a couple of weeks. My razor was a little dull and I seem to have irritated some parts of my face, particularly above my lip. After showering, I noticed there was a red bump above my lip that is persisting. As you'll see in the photos, there is irritation around other parts of my mouth as well, not just this part.

To state the obvious, I want to make sure that this red bump is not something like a cold sore. I do not have the HSV1 or 2 virus and was tested negative via IGG approximately 45 days ago. I have not kissed anyone or drank after anyone since then.

Additionally, this bump does not offer any pain when touched. It does not seem to be fluid filled. And there was no tingling present at the site. I feel rather certain given my history it would not be logical to be a cold sore - but because of the site of the bump, it does resemble what one could look like. I work in television so it is important to me to get rid of this as soon as possible.

Some additional information:
-The bump is not on my actual lip but the redness from it has spread to my lip because of the close proximity.
-When examining closely, the bumps seem to be on follicles/fordyce spots near my lips that are enlarged. I cannot find a new bump that wasn't previously present. The skin around these is what seems to be red.
-Upon noticing the bumps seemed to be what I mentioned above, I tried to squeeze them. I was unable to pop them but a white ring formed around them similar to a bite that cannot be squeezed and histamine is released.
-The area does not seem to be enlarging or multiplying although the squeezing did make it redder and painful.

I have tried to give as much thorough information as possible. If you have any questions I would be happy to answer them.

To summarize, my questions are to make sure this isn't a cold sore and to know how to quickly heal this area. Thank you for your advice.

Posted Wed, 7 Aug 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Lohit K 2 hours later

I appreciate your detail explanation. The pictures were also helpful. My comments are

1. The lesions around your lip is less likely to be cold sores. Since your HSV1 or 2 virus and was tested negative and you have not kissed anyone or drank or shared food with anyone this cant be lesions of HSV. Cold sores are caused due to herpes simplex and they present with cluster and will be very painful and there will be blisters which burst to form scab. Your lesions are not appearing like that and no blisters or pain. So you need not to worry for cold sores.

2. These lesions might be due to Allergic dermatitis / irritant dermatitis / infected glands. I hope you are not allergic to your shaving cream, if so you need to change it.

3. Do nott squeeze or handle it. Wash with soap and cool water,dry with cotton cloth by just applying pressure and don't rub it, apply emollient cream or calamine lotion and leave it. The lesions should disappear in a few days.

4. Regularly keep changing the razor as the main reason is using blunt razor and don't handle or squeeze any such lesion as they may get infected or more inflamed and more area will be injured and hence different treatment like antibiotics will be required. Take healthy food and regular exercise.

Hope I answered your question. Feel free to ask me if you have any further queries.

Wish you good health. Take care.

Dr.Lohit. K