Noticed red, blue and orange colour in echo cardiogram. What does these colours mean?

I just had an echocardiogram. there was a lot of red, and some blue and orange. Do these colors mean anything. On the pictures of my heart that were in color, at least 1/2 my heart was red.
Posted Mon, 22 Oct 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Anil Grover 1 hour later
Hi there,
Thanks for writing in.
I am a qualified and certified cardiologist. I read your letter with diligence.
Colors in echocardiography mean (by default) Red depicts blood coming towards transducer and blue going away from the transducer (it can be set in opposite manner), the density of a color reflects the velocity of flow and its setting is displayed on the printout and that is also adjustable. So, it is the choice of the echocardiographer which colors he/she wants to see or show. Yes, mosaic or magenta color represents turbulence in flow of blood. Therefore, what the echocardiography & Doppler report says matters not the colors on accompanying photograph. Any proportion of red and/or blue in a perfectly normal echo cardiograph photo can be produced in perfectly normal heart. I hope that answers your question. Good Luck
With best wishes.
Dr Anil Grover,
M.B.;B.S, M.D. (Internal Medicine) D.M.(Cardiology)
http://www/ WWW.WWWW.WW