Noticed red blotches all over body after waking up. Took benadryl for itching. Is this ok?

helpI am a 6'2" 200lb 37 year old male. I woke up two days ago itching, thought nothing of. I tried to go back to sleep but could not stop itching. I got up took a cold shower, that seemed to provide minor relief. then the itching got much worse, proceded to pharmacy to get some benedryl, which after about 30 min started providing relief, then my chest felt as if someone had kicked me in it. began feeling worse, had to leave work, took more benedryl to releave the itching that was coming back. once again benedryl relieved the itching, had no desire to eat so just went to bed. woke up and had red blotches all over my body.
Posted Tue, 16 Oct 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Santosh Kondekar 1 hour later
Dear friend
The way you describe your symptoms of intractable itching all over body and then followed by blotches is typical or allergy weals or urticaria.
This often occurs following exposure to an allergen which may be or medicines…
Rarely such allergies have potential to cause airway spasm and discomfort… like you got some in chest… requiting emergency treatment…
Often there may be a past or family history of allergy or rash or wheezing but need not be so all the time…
As urticaria responds to antihistaminic drugs it did respond to benadryl…
In severe cases doctors often prescribe atarax and…or steroids and or epipen injection for extreme emergency…
A picture of blotches will help me be more sure about hives.
I hope this answers your query … write back if any further questions…
It will be prudent to visit ER earliest.