Noticed red and irritated bumps under arms. Could they be lymph glands?

Nephrologist
Question
Hello I have developed some bumps under my arms in armpit area, they are red and irritated and have gotten bigger this happened over night, was sweating alot am worried like could they be lymph glands, I have a picture
Posted Wed, 25 Jul 2012 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 4 hours later
Hello

The red lesion certainly dont look like lymph nodes. It looks more like you are suffering from folliculitis (infection of the hair follicles), it could have been either due to excessive sweating or due to recent shaving of the arm pit.
Here is what you should do

1. Avoid shaving of the arm pits until it heals
2. Avoid deodorants over the area
3. Apply prickly heat powder over the are to bring in a cooling effect or you could also use calamine lotion

I hope I have answered your query, if you have no further queries please accept my answer

Follow-up: Noticed red and irritated bumps under arms. Could they be lymph glands? 4 minutes later
i DID NOT SHAVE TIL AFTER THOUGHT MIGHT HELP, WHAT IS PRICKLY HEAT POWDER AND WHAT ABOUT CLOGGED SWEAT GLANDS

Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 15 minutes later
Hello

Clogged sweat glands are related to folliculitis where folliculitis causes blockage of the sweat glands.
Prickly heat powders are powders which contain salicylic acid and a group of other things in them, it will be available in the pharmacy. They help by absorbing the sweat.

If the folliculitis becomes worse you might also need a local antibiotic cream of mupirocin , approach a dermatologist for an examination and a prescription

Thank you