Noticed red and blotchy rash around vagina. What to do?

Hi my 3 year old daughter has got a blotchy rash around her vagina, looks very red and raw inside as well. appeared 2days ago she doesn't seem uncomfortable at all
Posted Wed, 19 Dec 2012 in Skin Rash
Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 2 hours later
Hello, I would be happy to help you with your question.

In all likelihood this represents a vulvovaginal yeast infection. While I would expect her to be more symptomatic or annoyed by it, this is not necessarily the norm. The best thing to do is to keep the area dry, avoid anti-bacterial soaps, and get her in to see her Pediatrician to assess whether my theory is correct. It might be as simple as applying lotrimin cream or powder, but given her age, she needs to be seen.

I hope this helps. Please ask me if you have any additional questions!
Follow-up: Noticed red and blotchy rash around vagina. What to do? 1 hour later
Ok thanks, have made appointment for tomorrow.
Great! Please ask if you have additional questions after tomorrows visit!