Noticed rawness and redness in labia minora. Could this be herpes?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - May 2013
May 2013
Question
Hi I woke up the other morning and while I was taking a shower I noticed that the libia majora was raw and red.itook a mirrior to see if it were any bumps but it was none just raw. It didn't hurt ican just feel the rawness. What could this be? I have no trouble walking or nothing. It does not hurt when I urine either. Could this be herpes? I'm a homosexual and haven't had sex in like 3 to 4 months and been dealing with the same person for the last 2 years and never seen this
Posted Wed, 12 Dec 2012 in Vaginal and Uterus Health

Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 2 hours later

According to your description the possibilities are:
-Contact dermatitis: this can occur due to allergic reaction to the material used for inner wear, detergents, soaps, sanitary pads etc.
-Inflammatory reaction due to scratching over the vulva etc.
Usually this type of rawness will disappear slowly by avoiding the causative agent.
If it persists better to consult gynecologist or dermatologist and get examined to find out the possible cause and take treatment accordingly.
Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries. If you are satisfied with all my answer, please rate the answer after closing the discussion.

Follow-up: Noticed rawness and redness in labia minora. Could this be herpes? 41 minutes later
Thank you! But how do I know it's not some kind of herps? I'm just very concerned. It doesn't hurt to touch its just inflamed and when water hits it it's ok too

Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 10 hours later
Herpes usually presents with inflammatory signs followed by small herpetic lesions, which will turn into blisters and then form ulcers after rupturing.
And all these will be painful.
So as you are not having these features the chances of herpes are less.
Wish you Good Health, If you are satisfied with my response please rate the answer after closing the discussion.